18 November 2009

Of shoes and carnivorous plants

I found the prettiest shoes ever while browsing online today, and I wanted them the second I laid eyes on them. I feel like if I can get those shoes on my feet, all my troubles will automatically disappear...and I will be magically transformed into a princess, and my world will only be of lace and perfumes and rainbows and only beautiful things...sigh.

I can talk about how much I love shoes forever. I mean, they're like medicine for me. When I'm sad and blue, there's one thing that always works - I go out and buy shoes. Shoes heal broken hearts, like salve on the wounds of disappointments, and soothes the pain of not having a loved one near.

And for this reason, even though I'm a total cheapskate most of the time, I will go the distance for shoes - literally. Chances are, if I find a pair that I really like, and if I can remotely afford them, I will get them regardless of the price, always with this logic: what really matters in life - happiness or just having a huge bank balance? Easy :-)

Unfortunately, those Rene Caovilla shoes cost 661.00 EUR. And that's very overpriced, even for happiness. And I'm not stupid. So bye bye shoes. I know what I can't afford...

But the good thing is that I know what I can afford. And one of those are Venus Flytrap seeds! And I have to say, I'm as excited, or maybe even more excited about getting my Dionaea muscipula seeds than I am about a new pair of shoes.

I was going to order some seeds online from this site (flytrapranch.com), but I found out different countries have different regulations about seed importation so I decided to ask the site owner first if he knew about India's seed importation rules because I didn't want to pay money for something that might not get to me. He didn't know, but he graciously offered to send me some seeds *FREE* of cost - so if it gets to me, it'll mean they're allowed. If not, I'll just have to find another way to smuggle them in.
I'm really excited about this. I'm totally scared that I will kill them all, I know they're temperate plants and my chances are slim but if I have a 1% chance of being able to grow them successfully, I'll give it a shot. In fact I now have two shots because of the free seeds - so first shot with the first shipment, then if those die, I'll buy some more seeds. And if those die again, I'll give up and pick a different carnivorous plant.

If and when the seeds get here and I can start to experiment, I'll update regularly. Wish me luck!

8 comments:

Blind Dayze said...

nice!!...Venus flytrap..good luck with the seeds....

Shoes are also good for throwing at George Bush.. :D says someone in Iraq... but the i guess ones with pointed heels could be lethal..

Jerusha said...

Haha - I don't think I'd have the heart to throw my shoes at anyone, not so much about not wanting to hurt other people, but more because I'd hate to 'harm' my shoes :) And yep, some heels can definitely be lethal weapons.

Anonymous said...

Girls and their shoes are like Boys with their toys.. hehe.. Anyway, why a Venus Flytrap of all things? what are you gonna feed it? Flies? Cockraches? Creepy a little.. I'd prefer to grow Cannabis sativa anyday :D

Jerusha said...

Black - That's the beauty of Flytraps, I don't have to feed them anything. In fact, I heard that if you (force) fed them, they die. They have to catch their own food, they catch flies - of which India has plenty. Cannabis? hmm...I think it's too dopey a plant :P Not cool like the Venus Flytrap.

Lucy In The Sky said...

Awi...Ka thi hrulh nawk nawk in ka hria. A chhe lo bawn bawtawl. Sum of tangka pawh nei ila, ka bun tawk an siam ve ngai lo tiang ho chuan.
Pheikhawk hi chu duh ngawih ngawih tak ka ni. Bag erawh tumkhatah pahnih ai tam ka nei ngai meuh lo thung.

murali said...

Hey Jerusha,
Did you get the Venus Fly trap seeds? I am also looking out for the same. Did they grow and how have they come out?? Pl. let me know!!!

Murali

Jerusha said...

Hi Murali, I got the seeds so custom wise there was no issue, looks like our country doesn't have strict seed import regulations. Unfortunately when the seeds came I had to leave for a sudden trip so I graciously gave them to my brother who promised to love and cherish them but killed them all :( But at least you know you can order from the site and the seeds will reach you safe and sound.

murali said...

Jerusha,
Many thanks for the response! Unfortunate you did not see the Fly traps coming up. Yes, I have ordered seeds earlier over the net from the US (seedrack.com) and did get prompt response! I just checked and wanted to know how the plant came up! Where ru from? Am in Bangalore!

Murali