28 August 2007

Where's the Pied Piper when you need him?

'To see the townsfolk suffer so
From vermin, is a pity.'

[ Vermin without tails, walking on their hind foot and with a love for explosive devices. ]

The recent bomb blast has completely skewed up my life. Well, I know I shouldn't be complaining when there are so many people who lost so much. My 'tragedy' is nothing. But I'm still complaining. We leftovers are now scared to venture out. I can't even work late, my boss forces me or anyone else who tries to stay overtime to go home. Many plans canceled indefinitely. Bummer.

We've had bomb blasts here before, but this one was particularly scary because I was too close for comfort. However, this is a good way to find out who really cares for you :-). It's good to know there are people in your life who cares if you're dead or alive. It's also a good way to find out who reads/watches the news. Some people of course didn't call because they didn't know about it. I think that's just dumb when people learned about it and called from across the globe only a few minutes after it happened [yes yes, am pointing fingers here :D]

Mostly, I'm just mad. I'm so sick of people who believe bombs are going to solve things. What exactly are they bombing us for? To solve things? Put their points across? To prove something - whatever it is that's their cause.

I'm also sick of so-called state leaders who have the temerity to say stuffs like 'the state couldn't really have done anything to prevent this as the attack came from abroad' (!!!!!!!) and believe they can get away with that kind of bullshit statement. This is why my mind keeps going back to these lines from Robert Browning's 'The Pied Piper of Hamelin' -

" 'T is clear," cried they, "our Mayor's a noddy;
And as for our Corporation - shocking
To think we buy gowns lined with ermine
For dolts that can't or won't determine
What's best to rid us of our vermin!
You hope, because you're old and obese,
To find in the furry civic robe ease?
Rouse up, sirs! Give your brains a racking
To find the remedy we're lacking,
Or, sure as fate, we'll send you packing!"
At this the Mayor and Corporation
Quaked with a mighty consternation.

I wonder what will get our leaders to quake likewise....

4 comments:

amna said...

bummer it is! cudnt agree more!

mnowluck said...

when will all these anger, hate and bigotry be gone????


I'm not a dreamer. The only way to stop terrorism in India is to spur up our fucking politicians who are sleeping. Its all because of politics. I hate politics as much as i hate war!!!

Pixie said...

I couldn't agree more!
I hope things get back to some sort of normalcy pretty soon...

Jerusha said...

Old is good, wisdom etc etc but why do we have ONLY old men with one foot already in the grave leading us? I think some of them needs to retire gracefully and let men with normal energy levels take over a bit...they're taking us nowhere.