06 November 2006

Wear Sunscreen, Rami!

Okay, let's try chasing these nasty Monday blues away by dispensing some second-hand advice. Don't scoff because it's second0-hand. It's easy to listen to, and there seems to be some truth in some of it. There's one lady in particular who I want to make sure reads this. Virgo, cross yourself and start reading! Okay, I'll make it easy and copy paste it, or maybe delete bits and pieces, I think it's going to be too much advice. Anyway, here it is, ladies and gentlemen - Baz Luhrman's 'Sunscreen'!

If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it. The long term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience. I will dispense this advice now.

Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth. Oh never mind...you will not understand the power and beauty of your youth until they have faded. But trust me, in 20 years you'll look back at photos of yourself and recall in a way you can't grasp now how much possibility lay before you and how fabulous you really looked...You're not as fat as you imagine. (I love this part :-)!)

Don't worry about the future; or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubblegum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind; the kind that blindside you at 4 PM on some idle Tuesday. (Shouldn't be too hard to do if you can stay drunk all the time. One never worry when one's drunk)

Do one thing everyday that scares you. (In a way, yes! There are certain aspects of my work that still scares me but still have to do everyday. But I don't think that's the idea here, I think he means scary like ask-that-hot-guy-out-for-a-cup-of-coffee, swim-with-sharks, surf-a-10-foot-wave kind of scary scary..)

Sing (Gladly, every chance I get to be alone)

Don't be reckless with other people's hearts, don't put up with people who are reckless with yours. (Ummmm...)

Floss (YES!)

Don't waste your time on jealousy; sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind...the race is long, and in the end it's only with yourself. (Not possible!)

Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how. (I remember compliments, almost as well as I remember insults..)

Keep your old love letters, throw away your old bank statements. (Love old love letters, don't much like bank account statements. So a hearty YES to both!)

Stretch (All the time. Every cabinet is lofty for vertically challenged girls like me. Reaching for the smallest thing requires a lot of stretching!)

Don't feel guilty if you don't know what to do with your life...the most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives, some of the most interesting 40 year olds I know still don't. (HAHA I so absolutely love this piece of advice. I have NO idea what I want to do with my life. And all these smugs 40 years olds, acting like they've done all the right things. Or is it because I know only dull 40 year olds?

Get plenty of calcium (B-O-R-I-N-G advice!)

Be kind to your knees, you'll miss them when they're gone. (I love my kness, I pamper them :P)

Maybe you'll marry, maybe you won't, maybe you'll have children, maybe you won't, maybe you'll divorce at 40, maybe you'll dance the funky chicken on your 75th wedding anniversary...whatever you do, don't congratulate yourself too much or berate yourself either - your choices are half chance, so are everybody else's. (I love congratulating myself. And I also get some kind of sick pleasure out of berating myself :()

Enjoy your body, use it every way you can...don't be afraid of it, or what other people think of it, it's the greatest instrument you'll ever own. (I try)

Dance...even if you have nowhere to do it but in your own living room.
(All the time. Love dancing as much as I love singing. And the nice thing about dancing's that I can be the only one dancing in a room full of people and I'm okay with that. I'll never sing in front of an audience of more than 2 people.)

Read the directions, even if you don't follow them. (80% of the time - Yes)

Do NOT read beauty magazines, they will only make you feel ugly. (I know. Let's burn all beauty mags!)

Get to know your parents, you'll never know when they'll be gone for good. Be nice to your siblings; they are the best link to your past and the people most likely to stick with you in the future. (I think I know my mom pretty well, I don't 'know' my dad at all. Still, I guess 1 out of 2 ain't bad.)
Understand that friends come and go, but for the precious few, you should hold on.(Or try to be the friend your friends would want to hold on to..)

Travel. (Even if second class's all I can afford..)

Don't expect anyone else to support you. Maybe you have a trust fund, maybe you have a wealthy spouse; but you never know when either one might run out. (Don't have a trust fund, don't have a wealthy spouse. So that makes it kind of easy. When that's the only choice you have, you just have to do it whether you like it or not. And you'll end up liking it if you're lucky even if it means hard work. I got lucky :-))

Don't mess too much with your hair, or by the time it's 40, it will look 85. (TRULY scary piece of advice! You can come find me when I turn 40 and see if it's true or not.)

Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth.

But trust me on the sunscreen...

Oww, my eyes are burning! This post came at a very high price so you better take it seriously...or else....

...or I'll tell your mom where the underwear you wore at the Mizo Kut the other night ended up! :D

10 comments:

Macabreday said...

oohhh.. love this song. makes a lot of sense...and nice comments too... but why did u highlight on the "virgo" part?

Jerusha said...

mac - Virgo's a friend who never wears sunscreen :)

Anonymous said...

I know where my underwears end up.. :)

Macabreday said...

aahh ok.. lol.. though u were refering to those under the star sign virgo... was wondering why..hhm.. lol.. nyway, have added ur link to my blog.

Jerusha said...

Thanks Mac! She's single btw ;-)

Jerusha said...

dontanalyse, but does your mom know? :p

virgochhas said...

lolz...

yes ma'am...which sunscreen wud dat be... :P....

BTW...d underwear i wore at "Kut"???...

i did'nt wear one...

*muaaaaaaah*

Jerusha said...

'vasmol' sunscreen a awm law'm ni? Biteii hian a awm ati tlatin ka hria! I recommened Banana Boat SPF 40, L'Oreal White perfect, thra bon khengs, a to over lo bawk :)

Almostunreal said...

Banana Boat a tha. Tun ah hian kei chuan Biotique ka hmang mek, tha khop mai, to si lo, spf 70 niin ka hria

Everyman said...

Was this a song????!!! Someone had put this up at the office recently and i thought this was a write-up or sthing! The comments were interesting though :-DD

And hey, if u love ur knees, u better give them plenny of calcium!